Anonymity Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anonymity Forum

Supporting the Anonymous against the Cult of $cientology

HomeGalleryLatest imagesLog inRegister

Playing With Words

Go down 
AuthorMessage
meme
Admin
Admin
meme

Playing With Words Empty
PostSubject: Playing With Words   Playing With Words EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 8:57 pm

For language to have any use at all, society has agreed that certain concepts are presented by specific words and phrases. We accept that language changes, it evolves with time, but at some level words retain their meaning or all communication is lost. This idea was well presented in Tom Stoppard's play Travesties in the dialogue between John Carr and avant garde artist Tristan Tzara over the meaning of the word 'art':
Carr: Then you are not actually an 'artist' at all?

Tzara: On the contrary. I have just told you I am.

Carr: But that does not make you an artist. An artist is someone who is gifted in some way that enables him to do something more or less well which can only be done badly or not at all by someone who is not thus gifted.

If there is any point in using language at all it is that a word is taken to stand for a particular fact or idea and not for other facts or ideas. I might claim to be able to fly . . . Lo, I say, I am flying.

But you are not propelling yourself about while suspended in the air, someone may point out. Oh no, I reply, that is no longer considered the proper concern of people who can fly. In fact, it is frowned upon. Nowadays, a flyer never leaves the ground and wouldn't know how.

I see, says my somewhat baffled interlocutor, so when you say you can fly, you are using the word in a purely private sense.

I see I have made myself perfectly clear, I say. Then says this chap in some relief, you cannot actually fly at all. On the contrary, I say, I have just told you I can. Don't you see, my dear Tristan, you are simply asking me to accept that the word 'art' means whatever you wish it to mean; but I do not accept it.

Travesties: Act One, by Tom Stoppard, 1974

$cientology plays with language, giving new meanings to common words like 'clear,' 'terminal,' and 'auditor.' Why should we grant them the right to alter the meanings of words like 'religion' and 'church'? The opinions that members to participate, to agree or disagree as the spirit moves them. After all, we are devotees of Free Speech.
Back to top Go down

Playing With Words
Page 1 of 1